For centuries, the market street was one of the most important lifelines of handicraft production and trade in Langensalza. National trade routes and the historic postal route from Kassel to Leipzig carried out here. The reconstructed course-based full-mile column in the pedestrian zone is a reminder of this. The only original component of this post milestone was secured and placed in front of the city museum in 2009. After the great city fire in 1711, patrician houses were built along the market street in half-timbered construction. The artfully decorated facades and sometimes massive portals testify to the wealth of their former owners.